Thursday 28 June 2007

There's just something about Mind Flayers

I first came across the Illithid as named (by geeks) whilst playing Baldur's Gate II. There's a whole section where they've captured your group and you need to flee off fast, less they literally feast on your brill encased brain.


I found it the most 'keyboard smashing' part of the whole game. The squidies can control members of your group with telekinesis! Its like Tony Blair all over again. I assume a major inspiration for the design for my multi-tentacled friends is the Cult of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft. Cuthlu is the monstrous guardian of the Old Ones a bit like the Axis of Evil but genuinely dangerous. He just happens to have a squid head. Like the Axis just happens to have oil. 'Squid head,' lets get that being used in playgrounds across the country: "Errrr, squid head, squid head! What you gonna do squiddy, spray ink at me?!"

*consumes brain*

No comments: