Thursday 27 September 2007

Rupees make the world go round (Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)

Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland: a game that has the free market and capitalism at its core. With a name as long and strange as that, it could only have originated in the land of the rising sushi.



If you’re a thirty one year old, single, male in Japan you’re pitiful. So pitiful that only the pity of an old Rupee (rupee is cash for the non Legend of Zelda indoctrinated) Lord, called Uncle Rupee, has the power to turn your life around. This isn’t accomplish through the traditional avenues of spending sprees, buying into a pyramid scheme, or attending a motivational seminar but by throwing rupees (cash) into a spring, west of his house. Once the well has been satisfied, a tower grows out of it leading to what we can only assume is a consumer’s paradise called Rupeeland. Mental.


It’s not as easy as it sounds; Tingle is transformed into one of those cosplay-looking types, tight green tights and all. Now rupees are linked to his health, run out of rupees and he’s dead. Whether this is an analogy of consumer society as a whole, I don’t know.


You then run about talking to some certifiable characters, bribing, selling, trading etc until you have enough money to get to rupee nirvana. When I get some spare rupees myself, I think I will invest them in this bizarre adventure. I’ve always held a place in my dark heart for quirky original titles that seem to crop up less and less on the big three consoles (I suppose Wii excluded) but this is exactly where the DS shines. I’m coming Tingle!

No comments: